So my sister has been WhatsApp-ing me from NYC this morning, convinced she is about to die of botulism. She’s not. I asked her to send me her funeral playlist just in case. Which led me to think about my funeral playlist. I posted a list in 2008 on the original DKG blog and thought I’d revisit and revise. Here’s the 2019 DKG Funeral Playlist.
1) The Guests – if Antony’s version is ever recorded then I want that played first, if not Leonard Cohen’s version will do nicely.
2) Dream a little dream – The Mamas and The Papas (no other version – EVER).
3) Bird on a wire – Perla Batalla’s version from the I’m Your Man CD. (“Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free.”)
4) Soul to squeeze – Red Hot Chili Peppers off the Coneheads soundtrack. Well, obviously a RHCP song must be played at my funeral. I couldn’t rest in peace otherwise. This song is in some ways the essence of RHCP. It’s perfection.
5) Satisfied Mind – Jeff Buckley from Sketches (For My Sweetheart The Drunk).
6) Enjoy Yourself – The Specials. I cried when they played this at the Enmore in 2009 (how the fuck was it TEN years ago??!!). “Enjoy yourself… it’s later than you think.”
7) If Ever I Stray – Frank Turner. This could be changed/deleted in future but right now it stays. Also it’s my funeral so I can have two FT songs if I want to.
8) Photosynthesis – Frank Turner. Because I’ve never wanted to grow up and I hope I never will. (That’s what I like to tell myself…. is being immature the same as not growing up?)
9) Born With A Tail – Supersuckers. Because FUCK IT!